Maths Module Error??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maths Module Error??

Having got my ATPL-H package loaded up ready to go I did the maths & physics refresher...

Lesson 3 Powers & Roots - Exercise 5.

I have to say it made me question my own Electrical Engineering Background...

What is the cube of 5^3?

in other words what is (5^3)^3

Or in plain English due to html failings...

What is the cube of 5 cubed.

Shock horror that I find on the next page of the lesson the answer is 5^6 and not 5^9 that I shouted out and it indeed is

5^6 = 5^3 + 5^3

So now I am second guessing every single step and every time I get a question wrong. Working out departures has been fun I can tell you in Nav2 and having that electrical mind rather than the mechanical mind is having me wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew

Any other errata I need to be aware of? Will this automatically update?

Re: Maths Module Error??

Hi Spike,

I will get onto this (asking someone with a larger brain than my own) and update the CBT as necessary.

All the best,
    Deb

Comment

Hi Spike,

All sorted, thank-you for flagging this up
      The CBT will update overnight and all should be well in the morning.

Best regards,
      Deb

Comment

Hi Deb, Good to hear the update is happening and I'm not mad. What prize did I win??

Comment

Question N995114 in the Maths revision module.

The question asks to calculate the length of the hypotenuse to 2dp with sides 90cm and 1.4m.

According to my calculator the square root of (0.9 squared plus 1.4 squared) 2.77 is 1.6643 or 1.66m to 2 dp. However the correct answer is 166.32 cm.

Seeing as the square root in cms would have been 166.43 to 2 dp, was not listed, I opted for the meter answer to 2dp.

Technically I guess we are both wrong, but in the absence of an accurate correct answer, I am confused. Seeing as the two answer were so close together, this question was obviously designed to trip up the student with the 2 dp element. Certainly did that for me

Comment

Hello,

If I remember correctly, from school, if you add together the squares of the other two sides, the square root of the answer is the length of the hypotenuse.

0.9 squared + 1.4 squared = 2.77 The square root of this is 1.66433 on my calculator.

Answer: 1.66m or 166.43cm

Rob

Comment

Hi Rob
              Then we agree!
              The suggested correct answer is 166.32 cm not 166.43 cm
              Cheers
              Justin

Comment

Hello Justin,

Remember, in the exams the answer may not be exactly the same as the one produced by your calculator or whizz wheel.

Rob

Comment

Are you saying that these errors have been put into the course material deliberately to make it more representative of the exams?

Comment

Nope; just an error which has since been corrected.
                    Courseware Design Team

Comment

Working...
                    X