• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question ID: 340127- PC1 landing at elavated heliport

The explanation says:

Refer to JAR-OPS 3.510

The screen height for PC1 landing is 50 ft/15m

In the event of a go around the vertical clearance is 35 ft in VFR

Has JAR-OPS been superseded by EASA AIR OPS 965/2012 for this answer? I think EASA quotes 35' for elevated heliports for PC1. Many thanks for the clarification in advance.
    Last edited by Mftx7jrn; 09-05-2015, 16:21.

CAT POL H220 states 35ft in the event in the event of a baulked landing which mirrors JAR Ops 3. However the screen height on landing for PC1 is 50 ft which implies a 50ft obstacle on the approach to land. Current exam questions are based on JAR OPS until November thereafter EASA AIR OPS applies. We have our work cut out to see if there are any new changes!

Comment

Many thanks for your reply Colin, much appreciated. I don't envy you trawling through EASA Air Ops, that's for sure!

Comment

Having read and digested the rule on this one I've revised the answer and explanation as follows. The examiners intent on this question is not very clear. In the approach phase obstacle clearance is attained by following the apprpriate approach procedure.
        In the event of a go around the required vertical clearance is 35 ft in VFR.
        CAT.POL.H.220 states:
        In the event of the critical engine failure being recognised at any point at or before the landing decision point (LDP), it is possible either to land and stop within the FATO, or to perform a balked landing and clear all obstacles in the flight path by a vertical margin of 10,7 m (35 ft). Only obstacles as specified in CAT.POL.H.110 have to be considered.
        In the event of the critical engine failure being recognised at any point at or after the LDP, it is possible to:
        (1) clear all obstacles in the approach path; and
        (2) land and stop within the FATO.
        That part of the landing from the LDP to touchdown shall be conducted in sight of the surface.

Comment

Working...
        X