Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Planning - TETH

Hello,

I am working through the section concerned with ascertaining the rate of climb of the TETH. On page 6.14 of the textbook it states that the mass at start up is 7730kg. Then on page 6.15 it starts using the value 7350kg - 'Note that the interpolation for 7350kg...'

I fail to understand where the new figure of 7350kg is taken from. Clearly the aircraft will have lost some mass due to burning taxi fuel (20kg), and then taking off. However the 350kg drop seems odd. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Re: Fuel Planning - TETH

A few more questions please.

2) Cruising levels. Imagine a question that asks for you to select a pertinent FL given a certain heading and there is no clause saying 'assume no RVSM' - assume the answer options are between FL290 to FL410 and the route is over Europe/ North America. Is it thus correct under these circumstances to take into account the RVSM rule? Would they ask a question like this? I have seen a question in the bank that does have the 'assume no RVSM' clause.

3) Relating to Q330098. In the answer's explanation it states 'BTD D60 ? DME only - NOT a position check'

Surely the navaid '355 BTD' (57°45'N 013°48'E) is an NDB, not a DME?

4) Relating to Q330610. The question asks one to refer to 'Flight Planning Manual MRJT 1'. Is this some fixed-wing thing? If so, is it liable to turn up in (H) exam? I have never seen or heard of this illusive manual before.

Thankyou!

Comment

Sorry for the delay – I admit to being AWOL on the helicopter FP forum.

To look at each of your questions in ture:

1. CLIMB – you are absolutely correct, I have no idea where the 7350kg mass comes from – a misprint which I will get corrected.
      The whole point of this planning exercise is simply to get you to look at the CAP graphs that MIGHT be used for exam questions – when the notes were written we had no idea what they were going to use, and to start with there were no questions on the CAP in the helicopter exams. However, over time they have been adding to the Exam question bank, and the CAP questions are slowly being added to. Currently (so far as I know) Exam questions are just based on the SEP graphs – as yet nothing on the TETH, but I'm sure they will get there soon.
      Back to the notes – if you re-work the example for a mass of 7700kg, you will see that the rate of climb at top of climb (9000ft) is still around 1600fpm, so the assumption of 2000fpm for the climb made in the notes is good enough.

2. The cruising level issue of ICAO v RVSM goes on and on – AS FAR AS I KNOW, the Exam still only asks about the ICAO rules. The questions are EITHER asking about levels BELOW FL290 (ODD or EVEN level dependant on MAGNETIC TRACK), OR, if the question is asking about a level ABOVE FL290, the wording will include 'EXCLUDING RVSM' or 'IGNORING RVSM'.
      If the question says nothing, at the moment I think I would stick with ICAO – but IF you have time, appeal the question (and let us know) if you can.
      For a question asking about levels above FL290, I would always just look at the diagram on the front panel of the E(HI)4/5 - not forgetting to apply any NOTES or E> or O> arrows as appropriate to the airway involved.

3. 330098 BTD is an NDB, so of course you won't get a DME from it – the wording does need tightening ? but, just saying you are 60NM from a nav facility (could be from your IRS/GPS) is not a good position check.

4 330610 – should NOT appear in helicopter exams – appeal if you have time. I have removed this one from our databank – should be corrected in a few days.

Hopefully that answers your current questions - I will keep an eye on the questions, so ask away!

Tom
      Last edited by Tom; 17-03-2015, 10:13.

Comment

Hi Tom,

Sorry for my delay also. Many thanks for answering these queries, much appreciated! Regards,

Kimball

Comment

Working...
        X