Q920199

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q920199

You require radar vectors to establish on the localiser at 8nm. The appropriate transmission to ATC would be:

(A) "GABCD request vectors for 8nm final for the localiser

(B) "GABCD request vectors 8 nm final"

(C) "GABCD request straight in approach"

(D) "GABCD request 8nm final"

Accepted answer is D.

This seems a bit odd to me, as it does not convey at all the fact that you're desiring to intercept the localiser. If I asked "GABCD request 8nm final", why should I expect ATC would magically know I'm actually intending to intercept the localiser? In fact, I'd interpret it exactly as it is: "I want an 8nm final", no more, no less.

May I ask where these (often strange) responses are being sourced from?

Cheers!

Hello JWB,

Thanks for your post.

As you may have noticed from the note on this question it was produced from student feedback and so may be slightly inaccurate in content. We created it in 2017 based on student feedback and then it was amended slightly following further feedback in April 2018.

Perhaps the original question could have specified that you were already on a radar approach to join the ILS and in contact with the radar controller already, in which case the provision of vectors might be considered implied, but still I am not entirely satisfied with the "correct" answer.

An initial search in all the usual publications has yet to show any suitable reference.

Allow me a few days to do some further research and I will get back to you.

Best Regards,

Matt

Comment

Hello again JWB,

Ok, found the reference. Didn't take as long as I thought...!

It is contained within ICAO Doc 4444 PANS-ATM 2016. 12.4.2 Radar in Approach Control Service - 12.4.2.2

So although we are still not sure of the exact question wording we are definitely referring to a radar/approach control scenario as suspected.

I will update this question with the reference on BGS online accordingly. Many thanks for your useful input.

Best Regards,

Matt

Comment

Many thanks for your efforts Matt!

Comment

Working...
        X