Calculate thurst

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculate thurst

Looking for some help and sorry if it's really simple questions.

(already posted in the new question feedback)

In my recent POF exam, I got a question which asked;

"Calculate thrust, given gradient, drag, mass" I can't remember the figures, by I am pretty sure gradient was something like 30 or something.

Is there anything similar in the question bank to this? I for the life of me can't work this out. Or could anyone make an example up? I know that without figures and the proper question it's hard to do anything with!

Another question was;
    "what's the new CL, when given old CL, mass, density, current speed in TAS, and something else, but I couldn't work out because any formula I knew,
    there wasn't sufficient information, so I chose the option of "insufficient information to work this out"

But I think I got this wrong from trying to understand the syllabus gibberish.

Anyone know any examples in the bank?

Tah

ST

Your First Question : Checkout QIDs 811375 and 811378

Your second Question: This one is new to us. Doubtless you spotted a lot of components of the lift formula in there, except for mass, which could be a red herring (known as a "distractor" in official language). But we need more feedback to build up a picture of the precise wording of the question, before we can help.

Other questions: There is another new question being reported which is a drag calculation, giving a starting value of 900N. If the feedback is accurate, there seems to be insufficient information to do the calculation. Another school has formally challenged this one, and we await the outcome.

Recently, we have successfully challenged QID 811374, on the grounds that it has 2 possible correct answers. We are standing by for reports of its re-appearance in an exam with improved wording.

Comment

Thanks Ben!

Comment

Hey, that question asking for the new CL given density speed, mass etc etc was the missing part altitude by any chance I had a similar question in my exam and i think it gave me an altitude of maybe 5000ft or something.
        Last edited by Ash_267; 17-05-2018, 13:17.

Comment

I also think that the CL given was 0.1 if that helps you remember?

Comment

Yeah it's definitely something like that.

I had 3 answers with numbers and one with "there is insufficient information"

Did you manage to work anything out?

Comment

No I didn't have a clue to be honest. Guessed with one of the number options, my mate did same as you and we can

Comment

Ben W

​​​​​​​
                Originally posted by Ben W View Post
                Your First Question : Checkout QIDs 811375 and 811378

Your second Question: This one is new to us. Doubtless you spotted a lot of components of the lift formula in there, except for mass, which could be a red herring (known as a "distractor" in official language). But we need more feedback to build up a picture of the precise wording of the question, before we can help.

Other questions: There is another new question being reported which is a drag calculation, giving a starting value of 900N. If the feedback is accurate, there seems to be insufficient information to do the calculation. Another school has formally challenged this one, and we await the outcome.

Recently, we have successfully challenged QID 811374, on the grounds that it has 2 possible correct answers. We are standing by for reports of its re-appearance in an exam with improved wording.
                I got the 900N one in my exam. I also appealed my exam as I failed by 1 mark and the CAA didn't change the mark. If the outcome is that it is a bad question what can I do?

Comment

Mrbobo25,

When you appealed your exam did you tell the CAA what you were appealing against? Assuming you did and the mark wasn't changed, it would suggest one of two things. First, you happened to get the question right by fluke; second, they have looked at the question and believe there is nothing wrong with it. If this is the case, I don't see there is anything you can do except sit the exam again.

In the meantime, we wait for the response to the schools' challenge. If you sit the exam again and pass, and subsequently the schools' challenge is successful the CAA will contact you and to refund the exam fee for your second (unnecessary) attempt at PoF.

Comment

Working...
                  X