Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question ID 710112

Question ID 710112

In accordance with Regulations, for a pressurised aeroplane, during and following an emergency descent, all occupants of flight deck seats on flight deck duty shall be supplied with a minimum supplemental oxygen quantity:

1. In order to maintain a supply throughout the entire flight time where the cabin altitude pressure is greater than 13000 ft.
    2. In order to maintain a supply throughout the entire flight time where the cabin altitude pressure is greater than 10000 ft and smaller than 13000 ft minus 30 minutes.
    3. In no case less than 30 minutes for aeroplanes certificated to fly up to 25000 ft.
    4. In no case less than 2 hours for aeroplanes certificated to fly over 25000 ft.

The combination regrouping all the correct statements is 1 2 3 4.

I do not understand this part : In order to maintain a supply throughout the entire flight time [. . . ] minus 30 minutes.
    So far, I understood the 30 min rules this way :
    If I fly 25 min, I need to carry 30 min O2
    If I fly 70 min, I need to carry 70 min of O2
    But according to the sentence above, I could get away with carrying 40 mins of O2 only. . .
    Am I understanding it wrong or is it bad wording ?
    Regards,
    Mathieu

I do not like the wording either - I wish they would stick to the wording in the regulation! (This an old QB question - I do not know if it is still active)

CAT.IDE.A.235 Supplemental oxygen - pressurised aeroplanes
    Table 1
    Oxygen minimum requirements for pressurised aeroplanes

1.Occupants of flight crew compartment seats on flight crew compartment duty:
    (a) The entire flying time when the cabin pressure altitude exceeds 13 000 ft.
    (b) The remainder of the flying time when the cabin pressure altitude exceeds 10 000 ft but does
    not exceed 13 000 ft, after the initial 30 minutes at these altitudes, but in no case less than:
    (1) 30 minutes supply for aeroplanes certified to fly at altitudes not exceeding 25 000 ft; and
    (2) 2 hours supply for aeroplanes certified to fly at altitudes of more than 25 000 ft.

SO, looking at the question options:

1. In order to maintain a supply throughout the entire flight time where the cabin altitude pressure is greater than 13000 ft. - YES - see 1(a)

2. In order to maintain a supply throughout the entire flight time where the cabin altitude pressure is greater than 10000 ft and smaller than 13000 ft minus 30 minutes. - YES - see 1(b) I will accept this, although the rule says - after the initial 30 minutes at these altitudes ...

3. In no case less than 30 minutes for aeroplanes certificated to fly up to 25000 ft. - YES - see 1(b)(1) - (although the rule says - certified to fly at altitudes not exceeding 25 000 ft)

4. In no case less than 2 hours for aeroplanes certificated to fly over 25000 ft. - YES - see 1(b)(2)

I hope that helps - get back to me if you have more questions.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom; 18-11-2019, 11:29.

Comment

Working...
    X