Radio Altimeter failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Altimeter failure

Another question, please. One other question from last September involved a Radio Altimeter failure on a CATIII approach. 'Radio Altimeter is necessary under 200m height' was not an option. From the pdfs doing the rounds, I gather 'using a GNSS with altitude correction based on temperature' is a possible answer?

I m looking for the reference that says 2 RAs are required for a CAT III approach ... I m sure they are ... the FDR must record both RA readings every second for a CAT III autoland.

Anyway, the GNSS option is not correct!

I ll carry on searching for the reference!!

Tom

SPA.LVO.110 General operating requirements
    (a) The operator shall only conduct LTS CAT I operations if:
    (1) each aircraft concerned is certified for operations to conduct CAT II operations; and
    (2) the approach is flown:
    (i) auto coupled to an auto land that needs to be approved for CAT IIIA operations; or
    (ii) using an approved head-up display landing system (HUDLS) to at least 150 ft above
    the threshold.
    (b) The operator shall only conduct CAT II, OTS CAT II or CAT III operations if:
    (1) each aircraft concerned is certified for operations with a decision height (DH) below 200 ft,
    or no DH, and equipped in accordance with the applicable airworthiness requirements;
    (2) a system for recording approach and/or automatic landing success and failure is established
    and maintained to monitor the overall safety of the operation;
    (3) the DH is determined by means of a radio altimeter;
    (4) the flight crew consists of at least two pilots;
    (5) all height call-outs below 200 ft above the aerodrome threshold elevation are determined
    by a radio altimeter.

Airbus MEL - 2 RAs installed ....

(M)One may be inoperative provided:
    a) All ADIRS, SFCCs, LGCIUs operate normally,
    b) Repairs are made within three flight days, and
    c) Approach minimums do not require its use.

Comment

Thanks! This is a snapshot from the pdf going around. Humour aside, just to make the point someone else also remembers it as CATIII as well as 'abort' not being an option.
      Attached Files

Comment

I think I pasted it twice, sorry!

Comment

I'm still searching for a reference here .... but you need a rad alt .... how about the potatoes version offering ...... revert (and brief) to CAT I with barometric altimeter???

You are in the hold, so re briefing mins and so on is not a problem.

Tom

Comment

I see, thanks for that!

Comment

Had the question recently. Wording 'You are planning a CATIII App. In the hold both RadAlts fail. Can you conduct that approach?' Options were 1. No, RADALT required for that approach, 2. Yes, using GNSS. 3. Yes, Using GNSS with Alt and temp correction. 4. Yes, assuming both baro altimeters are used and cross referenced. Assuming 'that approach', means planned CATIII approach, I went with NO. There wasn't an option to say 'Yes, AN approach maybe conducted to CAT1 limits using baro'.

Comment

Thanks for that, sounds good. I'm assuming you got the answer correct??

Tom

Comment

Working...
                X