Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question ID: 711320 - Ice giving false attitude indication?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question ID: 711320 - Ice giving false attitude indication?

Ice forming on pitot tubes, static ports and/or AOA vanes can give false readings of:

1. attitude
    2. airspeed
    3. AOA
    4. Engine power
    5. air data systems

How can ice forming on pitot tubes, static ports and/or AOA vanes give false attitude indication?
    I also struggle to understand how this can affect false readings of Engine power.

Can anyone highlight me, please?

This is a problem question. The LO reference for this is ICAO Doc 9640, and that tells us: Ice forming on pitot tubes and static ports or on angle of attack vanes may give false attitude, airspeed, angle of attack and engine power information for air data systems.

So, the false attitude information here is to the air data systems, not our cockpit AI, so I guess I would go with 1, 2, 3, 4.

We did appeal this one some time ago, but I never heard any relpy. On the good side, I havn't heard of this one turning up over the last few months!!

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom for your reply. With the LO reference it does make a little bit more sense to me. But I agree the question should specify "for air data systems".

I'll keep an eye on this one and will let you know if it does turn up.

Comment

Thanks - and any other bits and pieces would be welcome

Tom

Comment

Hello,
          The LO say "ALTITUDE" not "ATTITUDE" so you should correct that question...

"LO State that ice forming on pitot tubes and static ports or on angle-of-attack vanes may give false altitude, airspeed, angle-of-attack and engine-power information for air-data systems. (ICAO Doc 9640, Chapter 1)"

Thank you!

Comment

Absolutely correct, LO 071 02 02 02 does indeed state Altitude not Attitude. I will look at revising the question.
            BGS TKI

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X