Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP Loran-C... but it still lives on in the question bank!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Loran-C... but it still lives on in the question bank!

I'm getting the occasional bank question on Loran-C.

I used to work for a marine radar and navigation company (Racal-Decca, as it was known then). That was the best part of twenty years ago, and even then Loran-C was considered a bit of a dinosaur - a relic from a forgotten era. I'm fairly sure it's now been turned off.

Surely Loran-C isn't still in the LOs, is it? Do we need to know anything about it?

No, LO 062-04 - Hyperbolic Navigation Systems - was condemned to the radio navigation graveyard in April 2012. You should not be seeing these questions.

Sounds like a 'flag' problem in the qb database.
    Best Regards,

Tony Pike

Give Sergei back his dignity......Simples!

Comment

Cool, thanks Tony.

Although some people are telling me that there is talk of bringing back some form of Loran, but I'd imagine that would be some time in the future. Can't see the point myself!

Comment

Whilst I would have thought that it would have been no more accurate than Inertial Systems, I did read some time back that the US intended to introduce LORAN E, as a back-up for long range navigation in the event of the Sun throwing its toys out of the pram and frying the NAVSTAR, etc. SVs with a great big CME. One CME with solar winds in excess of 2,500 km/s, equal to The Carrington Event of 1859, only just missed us on 23 July 2012, by two days; estimates reckon it would have put us back by 11+ years and cost trillions of dollars to sort out.
        Best Regards,

Tony Pike

Comment

That is a good point - perhaps we are becoming too reliant on satellites and should have more ground-based navigation systems as redundancy.

No doubt the conspiracy theorists will tell us that GPS is just an elaborate US government deception anyway. I mean, how could it possibly exist when we all know that the earth is FLAT, and everything we learnt in Gen Nav is just a sham? And even if it does exist, it could be switched off by our reptilian lizard overlords* at any time - that's if the signals don't get blocked by all the chemtrails being sprayed into the air. (When do we learn about that, by the way? I was expecting AGK to have a chapter on it - if I'm going to be a commercial pilot, I'll need to know the optimum techniques for controlling the minds of people on the ground - that's my whole reason for going into this profession.)

* Have you seen the shape of Trump's tongue? No, me neither - he keeps it well hidden. It'll be forked, I tell you!

Comment

I'll ask the ref David (Icke) this afternoon, during our annual New Year's Day footie match against the 'greys'. Wow, I've never been called an 'overlord' before! Something of a triumph (or should that read 'something of a trump'........swings cape across face and disappears into the shadows........

Best Regards,

Tony Pike

Comment

Working...
            X