• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convergence vs converg angle

Hi,
    I am really confused on these 2 things:

When I see a question like this:
    A Lambert conformal conic chart has a constant of the cone of 0.80. A straight line course drawn on this chart from A (53?N 004?W) to B is 080? at A; course at B is 092?(T). What is the longitude of B?

I assume 92-80 is 12 being the conversion ANGLE. but, its actually the convergency....and a formula convergency = CH long x Constant of the cone is used.

Other times I see a similair question maybe not specifying a Lamberts, maybe specifying a grid, or no chart mentioned at all and 12 will turn out to be the conversion ANGLE ( IE inbound track 90 degrees and true track 102 degrees ) and convergency would in fact be 24 degrees.

How do we know which one to choose? seems comletely arbitrary...

Re: Convergence vs converg angle

Hi,

Convergency is the amount by which a great circle track direction changes.

Conversion angle is the angle between the great circle track and the rhumb line track.

Baz

Comment

Ok Thanks Baz,

Hopefully that helps.

Comment

How about here ( if u have a moment )

The automatic flight control system (AFCS) in an aircraft is coupled to the guidance outputs from an inertial navigation system (INS). The aircraft is flying between inserted waypoints No. 3 (55?00'N 020?00'W) and No.4 (55?00'N 030?00'W). With DSRTK/STS selected on the CDU, to the nearest whole degree, the initial track read-out from waypoint No. 3 will be:

answer

The conversion angle is 1/2 convergency.

Conv= 10 x sin 55 = 8 degrees
        Conv Angle = 1/2 x 8 = 4 degrees

Convergency is the amount by which the Heading will change if you follow the GC track. So at 20W TRK 274 , at 25W TRK 270 and at 30W TRK266

Its the conversion angle thats applied to the Rhumb line track not convergency.

Is not the INS , in this mode, showing GC tracks between waypoints? So how is the last line correct?
        This is what messes me up

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
          Hi,

Convergency is the amount by which a great circle track direction changes.

Conversion angle is the angle between the great circle track and the rhumb line track.

Baz
          However this now makes sense. so...

Comment

Hello,
            Somebody can help me?
            I tried this one
            A Lambert conformal conic chart has a constant of the cone of 0.80. A straight line course drawn on this chart from A (53
            Last edited by Bob747; 01-10-2018, 10:12.

Comment

Working...
            X