X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen Nav Exams, Equipment Required & The CRP-5

The 5 'P's' of the CRP-5

Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice.

Occasionally, as per April 2010 AND May 2010, an exam will crop up which will be heavily biased towards performing calculations on the CRP-5.

This is totally unpredictable so you DO need to be prepared for all eventualities.

As for equipment, this is the list of equipment you can and cannot use in the exams.

* CRP-5 Flight Computer 'Whizzwheel' or other suitable alternative WITHOUT a Wind-Arm (more trouble than useful) - You CANNOT use a 'whizzwheel' that has formulae printed on it. You CANNOT use an electronic version such as the E6B

* Jepessen Charts E (LO) 1 / E (LO) 2 and E (LO) 1A - DO NOT rely on the CAA photocopies - if you are worried about damaging your Student Charts when preparing for the exam then buy spare charts - e.g. ? 8.49 from Transair

* Electronic Calculator PLUS spare batteries - Again this CANNOT be programmable, the Sharp 85 is a suitable example

* Drawing set - a decent set of dividers (for distances) and a drawing compass (for DME arcs) will be enough

* A sharp 2H pencil - soft pencils are not recommended, you need something that can draw clear, fine lines

* A non-permanent super-fine black OHP marker pen - ideal for marking the wind side of the CRP-5, plus a tissue for cleaning the marks off

PS.

* A good sense of humour and a big bucket of patience - you WILL need this!!!!! :-)

Happy days.
    Last edited by Tony Pike; 20-09-2010, 12:04.
    Best Regards,

Tony Pike

Give Sergei back his dignity......Simples!

Re: Gen Nav Exams & The CRP-5

May was heavily biased too. It was horrible, just horrible.

Comment

Hi Tony,

We were also permitted the E(LO) 1A chart in the May exam.

Having spoken to someone who did the April exam it may have been the same paper in May-the questions we recalled together were identical, and neither of us could recall a question that appeared in one and not the other. Could just be a quirk of our memory, but worth considering.

I agree entirely, the last item (the sense of humour) is THE most essential!

Bri

Comment

Hi!

I have a Jeppesen E6B Whizwheel from the "old days" in the USA.
        Is it advisable to buy a CRP-5 in order to have the right tools for gen-nav?

Thank you very much

Comment

I think whatever you are familiar with to gain the correct answer. You cant go wrong with the CRaP-5 tho.
          Still Smiling .......Just

Comment

* A non-permanent super-fine black OHP marker pen - ideal for marking the wind side of the CRP-5, plus a tissue for cleaning the marks off
            The pencil i was using made my crp so dirty so i just got one with a very fine nib and it's making my crp calcs so accurate and i can use my thumb to clean it off and it's sparkling again cheers Tony
            Has left the building

Studied here from April 2010 to March 2011.

?More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination.?- Wilbur Wright

Comment

My CRP-5 has a wind arm. Is this not allowed in the exam?

Comment

They are allowed but i found , and others did too , that the narrow margin between answer's required was too small and the wind arm just gets in the way. I would personally sell it or remove it but if your used to it keep it.
                Still Smiling .......Just

Comment

Re: Gen Nav Exams, Equipment Required & The CRP-5

Does anyone have a sense of humour for sale or know where I can get one?
                  pacman never had it this bad

Comment

I used to have one, but it fell into my bucket of patience.

Comment

Where's the 'like' button?
                      pacman never had it this bad

Comment

Originally posted by silverflyer View Post
                        The pencil i was using made my crp so dirty so i just got one with a very fine nib and it's making my crp calcs so accurate and i can use my thumb to clean it off and it's sparkling again cheers Tony
                        I don't know who suggested to use a pencil first, I couldn't imagine that before working. And indeed, I was right.. a pencil leaves small permanent light scratches on the pad as you need to apply some pressure on the surface.

I'm using those Sanford Uni-ball vision pens now. Just perfect!
                        Sincere regards,

Santana

"you're either an earthworm or an eagle"

Comment

Anyone know if the sharp EL-W506 WriteView Calculator is non-alphanumeric & if this can be used in the exams becouse it has a excellent function for caculating degrees mins & secs.

Comment

Nearly ALL calculators have an excellent function for calculating Degrees Minutes & Seconds.

You just need to locate it and learn how to use it.

It will either be marked D M S (I'm sure you can figure that out )or contain the corresponding mathematical notations.

Best Regards,

Tony Pike

Give Sergei back his dignity......Simples!

Comment

On the subject of CRP-5's, is it acceptable to use an RAF issue Dalton Computer, MK 4a or 4b? As far as I can see they are exactly the same as the CRP-5, without the temperature rise bit...

Regards, Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X