Latent error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr Mike Oxgreen Hey mike ,

You can find out which part you had a mistakes on , By the numbers of the learning objective syllables at the bottom of your official result letter after you know these numbers click on the link below and you can find which part exactly you did mistakes on it .

https://www.bristol.gs/wp-content/up...e-Jun-2008.pdf
    Regards .
    Elyas

Comment

Um... Yes I know that. But it doesn't prove exactly which question you got wrong, because there may have been more than one question testing a given learning objective.

However, I am 99% sure I got this question wrong, based on the learning objectives listed in my "knowledge deficiencies".

Comment

I notice this question has now been added to the bank. I'm slightly uncomfortable because we don't know what the official correct answer is.

I humbly disagree with the instructors: I think putting the wrong level into the autopilot is an example of an "action slip" rather than a latent error. The more I think about this, the more I believe the examiner has probably committed the logical fallacy of automatically treating cut-backs as errors (technically a 'conflation fallacy'). If you accept that faulty piece of logic, then all other aspects of that answer fit fairly well with the concept of a latent error: the 'error' occurs well away from the 'sharp end' of front-line operations; the results of the 'error' are likely to be seen months or years later; and in the meantime the effect will be very hard to predict or detect.

I wish I had swallowed my logical objection to the 'cut-backs' answer and chosen it. We need someone to do that and see whether they get a 'knowledge deficiency' for latent errors (I think the LO is 040.03.02.03).

Comment

Doc, we feel the same, hence the extensive caveat in our explanation. Our logic is that we would rather have it out there and a point for discussion (QED this thread), than not prime the students at all with it.

Comment

I had that question on my exam! I answered c) During maintenance, an engineer forgets to reconnect the aircraft's static pressure line.

I didnt get LO is 040.03.02.03 on my deficiency report so probably my answer was right.

Comment

Thanks Nelson - great feedback! I'll adjust our answers in the bank right now...

Comment

Originally posted by nelson_gi View Post
                I had that question on my exam! I answered c) During maintenance, an engineer forgets to reconnect the aircraft's static pressure line.

I didnt get LO is 040.03.02.03 on my deficiency report so probably my answer was right.
                Interesting - I'm pretty sure that's what I answered when I got the question about six weeks ago, and I did get that "knowledge deficiency". Maybe I got it for a different reason, but I don't remember there being any other questions on latent errors.

I still don't think it's a good example of a latent error!

Comment

ChrisK

You're welcome!

Comment

Hello ChrisK
                    I would like to ask if the correct answer as it is in the Q bank or ( C ) as it is mentioned in the post above ?

Comment

Elya, as you can see we are all still confused about this one. What we need now is for someone to get that question in an exam and then score 100% - no pressure guys!

Comment

Working...
                      X