Q5256

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q5256

Which describes the maximum intensity of icing, if any, at FL180 in the vicinity of CASABLANCA (33?N 008?W) ?

Can someone help me please, i find C and look in the box, and see the icing symbol has 2 lines on it. So i go for option Moderate, as moderate is two lines.

But it brings it up as wrong, and says its Severe.

Can someone Please expalin what i am missing.

Thanks.

Graham

answer

hi beech

i asked myself the same question.......
    you are right according the symbol it should be moderate icing
    however......... it says also something like isol emb cb.
    In CB you got severe icing..... probably thats whys the answer is severe instead of moderate.

hope this will explain it to you

Pieter

Comment

CB s etc

Yes....be careful:

for icing, one/two/three lines means light/moderate/severe

for CAT, there are only the two symbols....moderate, and with 'hat', severe

also, as you have correctly pointed out, the presence of CBs implies moderate/severe icing/turbulence.

Tom

Comment

OK thanks guys, i see what you mean, but how close to C.B's have to be to include them to make your answer severe.

Comment

Sorry, i think i answered it myself, i assume if they are in the hatched area, we take it as severe. if they not in the hatched area i assume its moderate

Comment

I'm just thinking, why they did not put that on the chart. As CB are present, shouldn't it be clearly stated "severe" ? That sign for icing is there to be used. If it does not show the correct, actual circumstances, what is it there for?

Comment

Working...
            X