Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question ID: 330714

Hi there,

Can anyone shed any light on this one for me please - to me it seems like there are 2 correct answers.......

For an aeroplane with turbine engines operating under the predetermined point (PDP) fuel procedure, the additional fuel to be loaded should not be less than:

The correct answer is:

"fuel to fly for 2 hours at normal cruise consumption above the destination aerodrome, this should not be less than final reserve fuel."

But another of the options is:

"fuel to fly for 30 minutes at holding speed at 1 500 ft (450 m) above the destination alternate aerodrome."

Surely, depending on what calculation you end up using (ie 5% cont from decision point to destination or 5% contingency from departure to the alternate) both of these answers are correct??

Thanks in advance!!

The PDP fuel requirements from EASA OPS are below.
    Whilst fuel to fly for 30 minutes at holding speed at 1 500 ft (450 m) above the destination alternate aerodrome might be correct in the odd circumstance, fuel to fly for 2 hours at normal cruise consumption above the destination aerodrome, this should not be less than final reserve fuel is definately correct (always)!

In some of these questions you may find that a couple of options may be correct - look for the best answer, if you see what I mean!

EASA OPS:
    Predetermined point (PDP) procedure
    If the operators fuel policy includes planning to a destination alternate aerodrome where the
    distance between the destination aerodrome and the destination alternate aerodrome is such that
    a flight can only be routed via a predetermined point to one of these aerodromes, the amount of
    usable fuel, on board for departure, should be the greater of (c)(1) or (c)(2):

(1) The sum of:
    (i) taxi fuel;
    (ii) trip fuel from the departure aerodrome to the destination aerodrome, via the
    predetermined point;
    (iii) contingency fuel calculated in accordance with (a)(3);
    (iv) additional fuel if required, but not less than:
    (A) for aeroplanes with reciprocating engines, fuel to fly for 45 minutes plus 15 %
    of the flight time planned to be spent at cruising level or 2 hours, whichever is
    less; or
    (B) for aeroplanes with turbine engines, fuel to fly for 2 hours at normal cruise
    consumption above the destination aerodrome, this should not be less than final reserve fuel;
    and
    (v) extra fuel if required by the commander.

(2) The sum of:
    (i) taxi fuel;
    (ii) trip fuel from the departure aerodrome to the destination alternate aerodrome, via
    the predetermined point;
    (iii) contingency fuel calculated in accordance with (a)(3);
    (iv) additional fuel if required, but not less than:
    (A) for aeroplanes with reciprocating engines: fuel to fly for 45 minutes; or
    (B) for aeroplanes with turbine engines: fuel to fly for 30 minutes at holding speed
    at 1 500 ft (450 m) above the destination alternate aerodrome elevation in
    standard conditions, this should not be less than final reserve fuel; and
    (v) extra fuel if required by the commander.

Comment

Working...
    X