Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question ID: 310463 Calculate the BEM and CG position.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question ID: 310463 Calculate the BEM and CG position.

Hello,

I can't get my head around this question, pretty sure I had it in my last test on M&B. It has a picture of the aircraft with the weights on the wheels and balast inside the aircraft, question asked for BEM and CG position. If the balast is inside the aircraft shouldn't it be included in the weight and moment on the wheels? And therefore not needed to be added sepperately to the table for CG or weight when working this out :-/

I get BEM 12041 and CG 151" thankfully close enough to get the right answer but still like to get it right.

Also CAP 696 doesn't say ballast in the description to BEM is it even included in BEM, should I be taking it off the total weight of the wheels?

thanks for any advice in advance
    Dayne

Hi Dayne,

Not the first to ask this one! I think we must presume that the ballast is fixed unless it stipulates 'removable ballast', and that is indeed what Colin has done when creating this question from feedback.

FWIW I've just recalculated, and get the same answer as the QB.

Hope that helps?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisK View Post
      Hi Dayne,

Not the first to ask this one! I think we must presume that the ballast is fixed unless it stipulates 'removable ballast', and that is indeed what Colin has done when creating this question from feedback.

FWIW I've just recalculated, and get the same answer as the QB.

Hope that helps?
      Thanks for your help but I'm still a bit confused sorry Chris.

If we add the weight of each wheel why do we have to add the ballast aswell? Is it inside the aircraft? If not how do we know? to use an analogy; if I weigh myself holding a bucket of water it would be included in the measurement taken from the scales right?

Comment

Your point is extremely valid! The problem we have with this (relatively recent) feedback question is that CAP696 does not mention ballast, but the Easy Access Rules for Ops Procedures state that ballast is included in the traffic load. We are on the case, and in the meantime I have made the question inactive, to prevent confusion.

Many thanks for spotting the issue...

Comment

Thanks Chris, I'm sitting this exam again on Monday so will keep an eye out for the wording and answer spread to provide some feedback too.

Comment

Excellent! Good luck with the exams. Feedback to support@bristol.gs please.

Comment

Working...
            X