Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbine engine start up problems

hello,

will a problem with fuel,and a tail wind blowing up the engine pipe both cause a hot start ?

also what is the main purpose of the swirl vanes ?

and is hydraulic fluid slightly pressurised to avoid cavitation or is that just fuel ?

thanks

anyone hed any light on these questions ?

Comment

Hello botsflyer,

Hot start? Usually caused by too much fuel for the amount of air passing through the engine. So two main causes, 1 too much fuel, 2. not enough air or disturbed air. The not enough air might be caused as you suggest by wind blowing up the tailpipe or an obstruction in the inlet. On a breezy day, wind blowing across the intake can disturb the air flow such that the early stages of the compressor cannot manage it properly.

Swirl vanes are used in various places in engines but I guess you are referring to the ones used in the combustion unit. My view is that they fulfil several purposes. 1 they help to improve the rate of atomisation/vapourisation of the fuel, 2. they help to shape the flame. 3 they keep the flame away from the nozzle to reduce carbon build up 4. they help to slow the axial flow rate of the air mixture.

Hydraulic fluid pressurised? I guess you mean fluid in the reservoir, if so that depends on the aircraft, some do and some don't but yes, ultimately it's about cavitation.

Comment

Hello John,

thank you for the reply and the explanation,
        in regard to the hydraulic fluid,it is not pressurised to prevent vapour lock of the fluid also ?

thanks

jon

Comment

We tend to associate vapour locks with fuels as they are designed to vaporise, hydraulic fluids are less prone.

Comment

hello john,

was a bit of a trick question maybe;

the hydraulic oil entering the hydraulic pump is slightly pressurised to;

prevent vapour lock
            to prevent cavitation in the pump

Comment

john,

do you have any feed back on the other questions I posted ?

Comment

other questions?

Comment

hello john,

yes the question on the free power turbine,
                  and the question on the aircraft in cruise with a forward COG,

regards

jon

Comment

Working...
                  X