• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWB
    started a topic Question ID: 100740 - Holding Points

Question ID: 100740 - Holding Points

This question asks:

Which of the following statements regarding Type B runway holding markings is most correct?

(A) Used at taxiway intersections

(B) Used at all cat 1, 2 & 3 runways

(C) Used for Cat 2, 3 - not 1

(D) Used when there is more than one holding point before a cat 1, 2 or 3 runway

Correct answer marked as (D). I went for (C).

I appreciate they are used when there is more than one holding point, but the supplied annex and the ATP software seem to make clear that type B markings are used for 'Cat II and III holding positions' - There's no mention of Cat I.

Any ideas? Cheers.

• John CTKI
    replied
    You've got it.

Leave a comment:

• JWB
    replied
    Hi John,

Many thanks for getting back to me.

So just to confirm, by writing:

'Type B markings are used for all other runway holding positions'

You are indeed saying that even if an airport only hosts Cat I operations, if there is a runway holding point that is for some reason not the closest one to the runway, it will be a type B marking (even if there's no CAT II/III ops).

If so - Understood! Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• John CTKI
    replied
    Thank you for your question. We have had further exam feedback regarding that question and I have re-written it to match what people are telling us after their exams. It will take a couple of days for the changes to become visible. However, your point remains valid. The Type A markings indicate that it is the last holding point prior to the runway, Type B markings are used for all other runway holding positions. It is common that when Cat 1 ILS operations are in progress the last holding point will be used - Type A, but when Cat 2/3 ILS operations are in progress then the holding point will be further back from the runway outside of the ILS protected area - Type B.

I hope this and the revised question help.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X