Question ID: 100331

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question ID: 100331

A minimum radar separation shall be provided until aircraft are established inbound on the ILS localizer course and/or MLS final approach track. This minimum is, when independent parallel approaches are being conducted:

3nm

Answer given is 3nm.

By the wording of this, should the answer not be 5nm?

"Minimum radar separation until aircraft established on localiser" - implies the aircraft are NOT established on the localiser and so minimum separation is 5nm.

Where are I going wrong?
    Thank you

Funny business this. I'll try and put it in another way.

On approaches to single runways the separation is normally 5 NM, unless special criteria can be met. However, on parallel runways there is a need to pack aircraft closer (because there are two runways) so, the special criteria are a part of the standard set up for parallel runways thereby permitting a separation of 3 NM. The 3 NM applies both to pre- established and established on the LOC. On Dependent parallel approaches a separation of 2.5 NM between aircraft on adjacent approaches is possible.

Comment

Thanks a lot, hadn't realised the 3nm comes into play before established on localiser.

When you say "On Dependent parallel approaches a separation of 2.5 NM between aircraft on adjacent approaches is possible"

I think that this is in disagreement with ICAO doc 4444 which says:

​​​​​​6.7.3.4.3 The minimum radar separation to be provided between aircraft established on the ILS localizer course and/or MLS final approach track shall be:

a) 5.6 km (3.0 NM) between aircraft on the same ILS localizer course or MLS final approach track unless increased longitudinal separation is required due to wake turbulence; and
      b) 3.7 km (2.0 NM) between successive aircraft on adjacent ILS localizer courses or MLS final approach tracks.

As far as I knew, the 2.5nm referred to a reduced separation on the same localiser and within 10nm of the threshold. :

8.7.3.2 The separation minimum in 8.7.3.1 may, if so prescribed by the appropriate ATS authority, be reduced, but not below:

a) 5.6 km (3.0 NM) when radar and/or ADS-B and/or MLAT systems capabilities at a given location so permit; and
      b) 4.6 km (2.5 NM) between succeeding aircraft which are established on the same final approach track within 18.5 km (10 NM) of the runway threshold. A reduced separation minimum of 4.6 km (2.5 NM) may be applied, provided:

Is ICAO 4444 the wrong source to be looking at here?

Thanks

Comment

Doc 4444 is ok. Depends what bit of it you use. I was quoting from Chapter 6.7 which is specific to parallel runways. You were quoting from Chapter 8 which is Use of Surveillance in ATC Service - a more generalised perspective.

Comment

Working...
        X